Monday, November 27, 2006

Bits of Barcelona

Sigh. I'm still not very good at this whole blogging business.

Spent the last 1/2 hour trying to create a post, along with some photos, but somehow, I couldn't get the photos uploaded and when I did and realised that I wanted to delete a couple of them, I couldn't get rid of them.

But I'm determined to post something tonight!

Well, back in S'pore now :) Had a busy week prior to this, but it was great! Barcelona was really nice... the weather, the food and especially the architecture! I'm still deciding which building I like best, but it's a tough one.

Here are a few random photos... I'll upload the rest onto flickr soon (ok... once it may be a while till I get round to it)


Can't seem to get the captions in the right place, so this will have to do.

First photo is of hot chocolate. Yup, it tends to be listed under "desserts" in Barcelona and very rightfully so. It's really more like thick, molten chocolate. A real sweet treat!

Next one is of the famous Sagrada Familia. This particular photo is taken from the "passion" facade. There are 3 facades- Nativity (the only one that was completed by Gaudi during his day), Passion and Glory (yet to be completed). The beauty of the Sagrada is simply indescribable. The attention to detail reflects the immense passion that Gaudi put into designing and building the Sagrada. The one thing the guide spoke of struck me so much- "Do you know why the Gaudi designed the tallest tower to reach the height of 170m?" Well, the answer is simple. Montjuic (tallest mountain in the area stands at 173m). Gaudi believed that man cannot create what God can create, hence, the tallest tower must not exceed the height of the mountain!

Next photo is of the Palau de la musica catalana. This is the "extension" bit, hence the modern architecture. No photography was allowed inside. Again, it is so magnificient! Even more difficult to describe without any internal photos!

Ha... this is a cactus photo. Have this thing about cacti- I'm not too fond of them plus they don't survive very long under my care... so here I'm standing amongst some very large cacti... just to demonstrate their size.

And lastly, there's the Palau de la musica catalana again. This is taken from the other side of the building.

No comments: