Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Boxing day thoughts

Ok, so it's about an hour past boxing day. Couldn't quite come up with another title for this post though.

Dawned on me this evening that my holiday at home is coming to an end in a week. It's been really nice to be home. Times like this, I ask myself if it is time to pack my bags and head home. Then all the "buts" come in. But... wouldn't it be easier to finish my exams first? But... is it really time to rejoin all my peers on the S'pore hamster wheel? But... how will I ever have a life outside medicine if I have to take on the not-so-friendly working hours of a S'pore doctor? But, but, but...

But there's the other side to it... I want to be there as my parents age and require more care and attention. If I do marry and have kids, I would rather they grow up in the secure S'pore environment (despite all the kiasuism) than in the UK environment, where the values of discipline, diligence and respect seem to have disintegrated.

The "buts" are unending. Guess the "wait and see" attitude is useful sometimes.

No comments: