Thursday, May 24, 2007

The Sound of Music

Let's start at the very begninning.

Meant to post this last week, but following my return from London, things got a little hectic (mostly with work). Perhaps the moment has passed me by and I will not be able to fully express the joy that watching The Sound of Music brought. But I shall try anyway.

I am the sort of person who would rather not watch a movie than watch it on my own. I have never wanted to watch a movie that badly. Trips to the cinema are more social for me.

So you see, the SofM really has such a special place in my heart. I went down to London for an interview, which went badly. There was no point in dwelling on it, and the weather was crap and my feet were sore from those heels... So I decided that I'd just go to the box office and buy myself tickets to the SofM. It didn't matter that no one was free to go with me. It didn't matter that I would have to hang around town for the next 4 hours. I wanted to watch it. Full-stop.

It was fantastic!!! I bought the best tickets I could get, got there, squeezed past groups of tourists, families, couples etc... plonked myself (and my shopping bags) down and enjoyed the musical from beginning to end. It's my favourite musical of all time. The one that I'd learnt all the songs to as a child. The one that would make me smile no matter how grey the skies are, or how deep the valleys seem. It didn't matter who was sitting on my left and right. It didn't matter that my feet were still sore. I was there... in the hills, in the chapel, in the von Trapp family home. It felt like 2 hours where I was transported out of this problem-filled world to a world where I felt I was 5 again and my only care was how I was going to convince dad to buy me that toy.

I could watch it again. Again and again and again. I've tried to relive it all by buying the soundtrack, but its not the same. There'll be a next time. I'd watch it, whether I'm 30 or 50 or 80... and I know I'd still feel like a 5-year-old again!

Hmm... It's worked! I feel happier just talking about it...

Rodgers and Hammerstein- what geniuses!!!

No comments: