Thursday, April 19, 2007

Of warmth and chills

Sat in Kelvingrove Park this evening. The sun was shining, birds chirping, tulips in bloom...
I love sunny, yet slightly chilly days. The glorious sunshine lights up all of creation and you just feel so lifted. And as you take a deep breath, the chilly air creates a tingling sensation in your chest. I know it sounds strange, but the feeling of coldness makes you so much more aware of the warmth and the converse is just as true.

As I lay prone with my pen in hand, I made a diary entry. As always, I look back to the last time I'd written- it was exactly a month ago. Thoughts started to crowd my head. It certainly feels like more than a month has gone by. The last month was busy and hectic, both physically and emotionally. There have been moments of coldness and warmth, hope and disappointment, confusion and certainty.

Extremes. Extremes provide perspective.

I scribbled away. Then it started getting more chilly. The sun was going down, the warmth was disappearing and it was getting colder.
Some things in life are certain and predictable. The sun will always go down. It was time to pack up and take a slow stroll home.

I look up at the blue skies. Perhaps the sunshine will return in the morning. Perhaps.

The weather forecast says tomorrow will be cloudy and rainy. Why is it always cloudy and rainy in Glasgow and warm and sunny in London or Brighton or Wales or just about everywhere else?

Perhaps the sun might just peek through... Hope is a good thing, right?

No comments: